Just before school holidays began I spent a lot of time compiling a list of fun things to do with my daughter that could also be done with a baby in tow. Parents with more than one child know that it’s hard to find activities that are suitable to older children and babies or toddlers alike.
Why the great outdoors?
We all know that children develop better when they are having fun. Research shows that playing outdoors can:
✅help children to develop their learning abilities
✅stimulate children’s creativity
✅encourage children to learn social skills and how to interact with other children
✅help them to feel happier and calmer
✅promote healthy and active lifestyle which helps them to build strong bones and good fitness levels, while also enabling them to burn off extra energy and calories.
And all of that for FREE!
There are also other bonuses too, in the outdoors they are free to express themselves, be loud, bold and energetic without us needing to regulate that release of energy.
So to help you out getting the most of outdoor playing and encourage your children to learn while having fun here are a few really Fun Ideas of Outdoor Activities for you to do with the kids!
1. Go on a scavenger hunt. Create a list of things to find; mushrooms, feathers, birds, leaves. Here is my list that we used to go hunting:
2. Make a leaf family! Collect a number of different shaped leaves and have fun making faces on them. We used a 3D paint that Angelique got as a present for her birthday and it really made the faces stand out. (Check out these cool faces!)
3. Collect sticks, leaves, flowers, pine cones, etc. And build a Fairy house. Here is ours, we even made a little fairy park with a slide.
4. Go to the park, have fun and explore! My local park has a area where they created a little garden with flower beds, little animal figurines, bird feeders and bug hotel. This is my daughter’s favourite place in the park. She loves to pretend that the garden is magical and comes to life and I have to make all the different voices for each character.
5. Have a picnic and play our fun Adventure Race game! Our bag was designed to give your child the ability to play a board game while also enjoying the benefits of being outdoors. You can get creative and make up your own fun actions to perform, for example find a brown leaf, challenge one of the players to a race, the options are endless.
So what are you waiting for, take your children and go make some memories!